OSA logo and tagline.

Find us on Facebook  Find us on LinkedIn  Find us on YouTube 
Skip Navigation

Actuarial Services

Pension Funding

Contribution Rates

Valuations

Fiscal Notes

Actuarial Information

Economic Assumptions

Return on Investment

Inflation Data

Life Expectancies

Interactive Reports

Other Post-Employment Benefits

OPEB

Publications

Experience Studies

Pension Studies

Presentations

Risk Assessment

 

Contribution Rate Projections

The Department of Retirement Systems (DRS) collects all contribution rates currently in effect, please refer to the following links for more details.

Read how contribution rates are established.

Read about the intent of public pension funding.

OSA calculates projected contribution rates based on the most recent actuarial valuation, asset returns, and legislative changes. The tables below show contribution rates, adopted by the Pension Funding Council and the LEOFF Plan 2 Retirement Board, for the 2015-17 Biennium and the projected rates for the 2017-19 Biennium.

  PDF icon. Print Contribution Rates [160kb]

Please note that PDF files are best viewed using Adobe Reader's latest version.  Click on the icon below to access free updates.

Get Adobe Reader graphic

 

Projected Employee Contribution Rates1
(Revised 1/16/15)
  (7/1/15 - 6/30/17) (7/1/17 - 6/30/19)
  2015-173 2017-194
Scenario Adopted Optimistic2 Expected2 Pessimistic2
 PERS5        
Plan 1 Members 6.00% 6.00% 6.00% 6.00%
Plan 2 Members 6.12% 6.72% 7.23% 7.70%
 TRS5        
Plan 1 Members 6.00% 6.00% 6.00% 6.00%
Plan 2 Members 5.95% 6.58% 7.00% 7.36%
 SERS5        
Plan 2 Members 5.63% 6.56% 6.94% 7.30%
 PSERS        
Members 6.59% 6.58% 6.80% 7.01%
 LEOFF        
Plan 1 Members 0.00% 0.00% 0.00% 0.00%
Plan 2 Members 8.41% 8.85% 8.85% 8.85%
 WSPRS        
Plan 1 Members 6.69% 7.19% 7.19% 7.19%
Plan 2 Members 6.69% 7.19% 7.19% 7.19%

   
 
Projected Employer Contribution Rates1
(Revised 1/16/15)
(7/1/15 - 6/30/17) (7/1/17-6/30/19)
  2015-173 2017-194
Scenario Adopted Optimistic2 Expected2 Pessimistic2
 PERS Plans 1, 2, & 3        
Normal Cost 6.23%   7.34%  
Plan 1 UAAL 4.77%   4.95%  
Total 11.00% 11.51% 12.29% 13.05%
 TRS Plans 1, 2, & 3        
Normal Cost 6.72%   7.77%  
Plan 1 UAAL 6.23%   6.92%  
Total 12.95% 13.86% 14.69% 15.47%
 SERS Plans 2 & 3        
Normal Cost 6.63%   7.57%  
PERS 1 UAAL 4.77%   4.95%  
Total 11.40% 11.87% 12.52% 13.17%
 PSERS        
Normal Cost 6.59%   6.80%  
PERS 1 UAAL 4.77%   4.95%  
Total 11.36% 11.26% 11.75% 12.25%
 LEOFF Plan 1        
Local Employer 0.00%   0.00%  
State6 0.00%   0.00%  
Plan 1 Total 0.00% 0.00% 0.00% 0.00%
 LEOFF Plan 2        
Local Employer 5.05%   5.31%  
State6 3.36%   3.54%  
Plan 2 Total 8.41% 8.85% 8.85% 8.85%
 WSPRS Plans 1 & 2        
Normal Cost - State 8.01%   12.45%  
Total 8.01% 10.09% 12.45% 14.66%
1TRS and SERS rates are effective from 9/1 to 8/31 of each year.  Employer rates exclude the  administrative expense rate collected by the Department of Retirement Systems.
2There is a 50% chance contribution rates will be between optimistic and pessimistic.  There is a 25% chance contribution rates will be higher than pessimistic and a 25% chance contribution rates will be lower than optimistic.
3Rates shown for 2015-17 are based on the 2013 Actuarial Valuation.  The LEOFF Plan 2 rates were adopted by the LEOFF Plan 2 Retirement Board.  All other rates were adopted by the Pension Funding Council.  All rates are subject to change by the Washington State Legislature.
4Rates shown for 2017-19 are projections based on the 2013 Actuarial Valuation.  Please see the Projection Disclosures page for projection assumptions not disclosed in the valuation report.  The LEOFF  Plan 2 rates were adopted by the LEOFF Plan 2 Retirement Board.
5Plan 1 members' contribution rate is statutorily set at 6.0%.  Members in Plan 3 do not make contributions to their defined benefit.
6In the LEOFF plans only, the state pays a percent of the total cost of benefits.
 

Back to Top

Copyright Jan 2007 Office of the State Actuary - All Rights Reserved

Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Site Map